In the early days of Kilbride’s history, getting around meant walking, stage or if you were fortunate, horse and buggy or wagon. Any bustling village would have a variety of services to see to the needs of the available transportation services.
In Kilbride, Joshua Worthington was a wagon maker. He is first found in the 1861 Census living in the Township of East Flamborough as a single man, listed as a carpenter. He was born in 1833 in Ontario. In 1862, he married Sarah Perry in Flamborough. She was a native of Dublin Ireland.
The Worthingtons moved to the Kilbride area and in the 1871 Census, they are found in Nelson Township with three children, George, Charles and Elman. Son Amos came along in 1875.
On December 4, 1880, Joshua purchased Lot 20 NE Rebecca Street in Kilbride as described in the land records of Plan 13 for the village of Kilbride. There, he set up a successful business as a wagon maker and no doubt provided all the services required for the maintenance of transportation equipment. The property was located at a very desirable location on the south east at the T intersection of Rebecca Street (Cedar Springs Road) and Thomas Street (Kilbride Street).
Over the years, the property passed between the Worthingtons, Joshua, George and Amos. George eventually went on to be rubber merchant. In 1908, it finally left the holdings of the Worthingtons and was sold to John Duncan.
Joshua died on September 11, 1909 and is buried in Carlisle Cemetery with his wife Sarah.
Contributing Author: Helen Callaway